Monday, October 5, 2009

Welcome Back



This is the second day of our week-long celebration and I know you’re all ready to let your hair down, sample the wonderful meal we have for you and relax. We will definitely do that, but before we do I’d like to share a bit of fruit with you.


What Do Readers Want?

This is a question that has been debated on many fronts. The responses are varied and are most definitely rooted in a deep belief that ‘my’ answer is the ‘right’ answer.

To be perfectly honest I have to agree that each answer is right – for that individual.

What is considered a marketable story varies from publisher to publisher and from writer to writer. Columns are dedicated to telling us what we want. As authors we study the market trends, listen to our publisher, agent and editor to determine if we’re on the right track. There is wisdom in doing so, but my question to you today is, who asks the readers what they would like to read? More importantly, who listens when the readers express a desire for something that steps away from what is considered the norm?

I encourage you to take the time to poll your readers to find out what it is they are seeking in a book, then consider if this what you would like to write. If so, why haven’t you written it? What is holding you back? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

On To the Party



Thank you for stopping by. Set whatever you brought on the table, grab a cool or warm drink and mingle. Dinner will be ready in a minute. Until then join the other guests and participate in today’s parlor game.


Ice Breaker
Color Me – Please! – One of my pet peeves in books is the redundancy of color, especially when it comes to skin tone.

For the opportunity to leave the dinner party with a lovely parting gift, be the first person to compile the largest list of synonyms for the color brown.
________________________

Monday’s Menu

Hold on to your taste buds. Today’s affair is full of spice.

Appetizer
Andouille and Poblano Quesadillas

Our fruit of the day – Succulent sliced mangos and strawberries

Salad
Thai Green Mango Salad

Main Course
Spicy Mango Chicken
or
Slowed simmered short ribs

Can't wait to sample what you brought. Thank you for coming.

Be Blessed -- Linda!

2 comments:

  1. ((smacking))

    These short ribs are the BOMB!! Thanks sis. I am very interested to see the responses to the question. I've always wanted other ways to say 'brown'. Smile. Psst..I'll work on it too!!

    I'm an avid reader so I love a good story!

    How's your Monday? I'm finally off work and wanted to send a shout out to everyone!!

    SHAYE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ms. Shaye and congratulations on being our first winner.

    Linda!

    ReplyDelete